Wednesday, August 10, 2011

a short interview from HACKSAWS AND THE SLAWDOG magazine

   Sometimes the rain came through the seams in the roof and dripped on the floor. He sat on a metal stool and burned a loose thread off his jeans with a match. The lights were dim on the set of Slackjaw Radio and it smelled like a beer joint. It smelled like our Darlin Slackjaw.

Starbelly Sneetch: So, what's your story...I mean, why are you hunkered down in the woods? Two years ago you played pretend in Hollywood and now you're hiding out in a shed in the middle of nowhere in particular.

Darlin Slackjaw: Well yeah. I don't get out much. I don't want to. I don't want to subject myself to things like shoppers on speaker phone, brats, chinese plastic, decaf, mexican tomatoes, cockroaches, other people's stinkbugs, smart cars, sports bars, sports, snot-nosed artists, fake art, snot-nosed art, and any other bullshit that isn't mine.

Starbelly: That's quite a list. You didn't leave anything out?

Darlin: umm...yeah...vinyl siding, corvettes, hair extensions, butt cracks, jive-talkin', hip-hoppers, hipsters, and your mom.

Starbelly: You say you don't want to subject yourself to people?

Darlin: ...the mob...the mass...the speedwalkers...I think I paraphrase Charles Bukowski when I say, "...it's not that I don't like people, it's just that I like them better when they're not around."

Starbelly: But you have a facebook page?

Darlin: Well, yeah. I do. When I opened my account I thought we would all sit around and talk about art and politics and the joy of seeing the misery of others...man, was I stupid...oh, by the way, today I cut the grass, I'm eating an egg sandwich, the kids did stuff, GO TEAM!, and I'm defriending you.

   Darlin Slackjaw leaned over and picked-up his guitar. He picked -off a round of chords before he kindly asked for my departure...Yeah, that Darlin Slackjaw's going to grow up to be a fine young gentleman someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment